Incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice - check who is eligibleEmployerThis article sits within the Employer section
Incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice are available for employers who recruit apprentices as new employees to their organisation between 1 April 2021 and 30 September 2021 inclusive. You’ll need to add the new apprentices to your apprenticeship service account before you apply.
You can apply for apprentices who:
- work full or part-time
- are on zero hours contracts
- have been made redundant by a previous employer, as long as the previous employer has not received an incentive payment for the same apprentice
Employers will be eligible for an incentive payment for all individuals progressing from the Kickstart Scheme to an apprenticeship regardless of their employment history
You can apply for new apprentices hired from 1 April 2021 to 30 September 2021 from 1 June 2021 until 30 November 2021.
Please note: It is the employers' responsibility to apply for the incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice. This can't be done by the training provider.
Where you apply for an incentive payment in the same month as being eligible to be paid an instalment, payment of your instalment may be delayed by a month to allow for necessary payment checks.
What you’ll get
For new apprentices of all ages:
- £3000 per apprentice
To get the full payment, the apprenticeship must last for at least one year. You’ll get the payments in two instalments after the apprentice completes 90 days and 365 days of learning as confirmed by their training provider. Your payment will take longer if your apprentice takes a break in learning.
The payment is in addition to the existing £1,000 you’ll already get for taking on an apprentice who is:
- aged 16 to 18 years old
- under 25 and has an education, health and care plan or has been in the care of their local authority
Things to check
You cannot claim the incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice if:
- the payment has already been made to a different employer for the apprentice. This includes if the apprentice was made redundant and the previous employer claimed an incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice
- the apprenticeship is not being managed using the apprenticeship service
- the apprentice has had a contract of employment with you starting within the 6 months prior to 1 April 2021