How to apply for the incentive payment for hiring a new apprenticeEmployerThis article sits within the Employer section
This article provides the information you need to apply for the incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice. The process involves several steps, which are outlined below.
It is the employer’s responsibility to apply for the incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice, using their apprenticeship service account. This cannot be done by the training provider.
When to apply
For apprentices with an employment start date from 1 October 2021 to 31 January 2022:
- You can apply from 11 January - 15 May 2022
- Apprentices must have an apprenticeship start date from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022.
Before you apply
- Check you are eligible to apply for the incentive payment.
- You need to have created an account on the apprenticeship service.
- You need to have hired a new apprentice. To be eligible, apprentices must have an employment start date from 1 October 2021 to 31 January 2022.
- If you do not pay the apprenticeship levy, before the training starts you need to have reserved funds in your apprenticeship service account or have arranged a transfer of levy funds.
- You need to have added your apprentice to your apprenticeship service account. This can be started by either the employer or the training provider but both need to agree the details before training begins.
- You need to have agreed a start date for apprenticeship training to begin with your training provider. To be eligible, apprentices must have an apprenticeship start date from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022.
How to apply
Once you have hired an apprentice and set up funding for training using the apprenticeship service, you can apply for the incentive payment.
- Sign in to your apprenticeship service account.
- In the ‘Finances’ section on the homepage, select ‘Your hire a new apprentice payments’.
- Select ‘Apply for the hire a new apprentice payment’.
- You’ll need to know the employment start date and apprenticeship start date for each apprentice you’re applying for.
- You will need to have your organisation’s finance details ready, if you have not entered them before as part of a previous application:
- Your legal name
- Registered address and contact details
- Companies House number (if you have one)
- VAT number (if you have one)
- Email address for the remittance
- Contact details for finance director or lead within your organisation
- Bank account details
- You will need to have signed the latest employer agreement. If you have not done so, you will see a notification with more information before you start the application.
- Follow the application process online:
- Check the eligibility criteria to see if you have eligible apprentices
- If you have apprentices who are eligible select ‘yes’
- From the list, choose which apprentices you wish to apply for
- Enter the employment start date for the apprentices
- Check the apprentice details and confirm
- Read the declaration then confirm and submit your application
- If you haven’t already, you can add the financial details
- View your saved applications
After you apply
Once these steps are complete you will be able to track the status of your incentive application using your apprenticeship service account.
We use confirmation from your training provider that training has started to calculate when the first (90 day) payment is due to be paid.
- Incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice from October 2021
- Incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice – view your application
- Incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice – Provider actions
- Incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice – add your organisation’s bank account details